Book a Demo

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.


Messages - Frans van Gool

Pages: [1]
1
General Board / Managing changes to multiple releases
« on: April 03, 2013, 06:59:37 am »
Hello,

In my company we simultaneously work on multiple releases of our IT landscape. Typically release N is in production, release N+1 is in acceptance test, release N+2 is in detailed design and build phase and release N+3 is in feasibility and high level design phase. Obviously, most design changes are made in release N+2 and N+3, but some fixes in release N and N+1 also have design impact.

Managing the code for these releases is rather straighforward using branches in a version control system. Changes in one release/branch are merged into a later release/branch using 3-way diff and merge tools. What would be the best way to manage design changes in such an environment using EA? Note that I did read the whitepapers on version control and deployment, but they only seem to discuss version management with a single branch; not with multiple branches.

Regards, Frans.

2
Uml Process / Re: Modelling processes that exchange messages
« on: April 03, 2013, 05:52:32 pm »
Hello,

Probably I did not state the problem clear enough.

The system I intend to model has many hundreds of processes and many hundreds of messages and I would like to model it in EA to get an overview of all interactions. Given the amount of objects, no single diagram will be useful to get the overview I need (although I do want to use diagrams to highlight parts of the system, see below).

To get the overview, I need to be able to search and browse my model. If I use elements (like lifelines) and connectors (like messages), then it is easy to get an overview starting from the elements, since if you select an element in the model browser and view its properties, you can see the connectors to other elements. It does not seem possible to do something similar starting from connectors (any type of connectors as far as I can see).

I know I can get the same information from the code; actually that is what I am currently doing. But this information usually is the starting point of new designs and hence I would like to put it in EA, so people can easily use it in those designs. Actually, this is where the diagrams come in; the designs typically use (sequence) diagrams to highlight the changes made to the system.

So I seem to have a dillema here:
  • If I model messages as connectors, then I do not seem tobe able to search and browse them (and hence cannot get the overview I need).
  • If I model messages as elements, then I will not be able to use them in the diagrams that are natural for the problem domain (e.g. sequence diagrams).
I would like to know what is the best way out of this dilemma.

Regards, Frans.

3
Uml Process / Modelling processes that exchange messages
« on: April 03, 2013, 06:33:29 am »
Hello,

I need to model a system of processes exchanging messages. The most natural way to model this seems to be with sequence diagrams, using lifeline elements for the processes and message connectors for the messages. This way it is easy to see which messages are send and/or received by a particular process. However, I do not seem to be able to find all processes that send and/or receive a particular message. How can I model my system in such a way that both questions are easy to answer. Furthermore, the model should also be able to define the content of the messages (e.g. as an XSD or a class).

Regards, Frans.

4
Hello,

Is there a way to use the automation interface Java API on Solaris?
I want to write some automated import and export applications.
These applications should run a server.
Unfortunately, the only servers available to me are Solaris servers.

Regards, Frans.

Pages: [1]