Author Topic: Mapping attributes/columns to each other ...?  (Read 2621 times)

Svend Erik Nygaard

• EA User
  • Business Information Architect
    • View Profile
Mapping attributes/columns to each other ...?
« on: November 28, 2014, 11:12:43 pm »
How do you map individual attributes to other attributes, e.g.:
- Business object's attibute to the DB column(s) implementing it
- Attribute to three other attributes that it is a compound of (e.g.concatenation)
In my model I have 'attributes' modeled as separate information elements (nested under their respective entities - just like normal attributes appear in the project browser). That gives me great freedom in mapping and other modeling like creating views (diagrams) with only a select set of attributes.
But I want to hear of other (your) experiences on treating attributes individually like e.g. mapping them to other attributes and elements.
Please let me hear your ways of doing this - I would appreciate it vere much.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 11:40:17 pm by svenderiknygaard »

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: Mapping attributes/columns to each other ...?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 11:19:04 pm »
We use Excel.
All classes and attributes are present in EA (as normal classes and attributes), but we document the entire mapping in an excel file.
That also gives us the freedom to do n-m mappings, add comments, formulas etc..
An additional benefit is that we can see the whole mapping on one page (rather then having to browse each individual attribute)

Geert

Svend Erik Nygaard

• EA User
  • Business Information Architect
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 11:37:48 pm »
@Gert:
Thanx for replying.
That is very interesting - of course, I prefer to keep as much as possible in our enterprise model in EA (traceablity, Impact graphs, dependency graphs etc).
I have considered a separate GUI (Excell or Web) for maintaining the gymnastics of mapping and even creating/deleting 'attributes' (<<InfoElem>>s) - although directly on the EA repository.
I take, that you still have the attributes modelled in EA? Did you automate synchronization between the attributes in EA and in Excel (via EAGuid?)?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 01:20:47 am by svenderiknygaard »

Tim Hosking

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 02:19:11 pm »
We use tagged values with the RefGUID type. You can actually make a direct link from one attribute to another. The advantage for us is in the HTML publishing, because the link is published as a hyperlink.

I'm not sure how you might deal with mapping from one to many attributes as in your example.

Tim

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 06:06:50 pm »
We use tagged values with the RefGUID type. You can actually make a direct link from one attribute to another. The advantage for us is in the HTML publishing, because the link is published as a hyperlink.

I'm not sure how you might deal with mapping from one to many attributes as in your example.

Tim
Tim,

You can either use RefGUIDList (but selecting the different attributes is a bit awkward) or you can add multiple TV's with the same name.
To be able to see them you have to turn the option on ("Show Duplicate Tags" in the Tagged Value options in the tagged values view)

You can you EA Navigator to navigate back forth between linked attributes.

Geert