Author Topic: Matrix View Enhancements  (Read 1818 times)

Sean Kearon

• EA User
    • View Profile
Matrix View Enhancements
« on: June 14, 2005, 07:24:18 am »
For the matrix view, could we have the ability to:

~ Reorder the columns & rows.
~ Open an item's properties even when there is no link between them.

Thanks

Sean

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
Re: Matrix View Enhancements
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 03:19:34 pm »
For the matrix view, could we have the ability to:

~ Reorder the columns & rows.
~ Open an item's properties even when there is no link between them.

Thanks

Sean
Hi Sean, do you mean the ability to create a link between the two elements even if there isn't one yet or do you mean something else?  If you right click on the intersecting cell, you can create a new relationship of the type displayed.

HTH,
Paolo
« Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 06:38:25 pm by PaoloFCantoni »
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

Sean Kearon

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005, 01:09:39 am »
Thanks Paolo.  But I would like to be able to view either item when there is no existing relationship.  If the packages are checked out I could add the link, view the items and then remove it again.  But if the model is not checked out you can't use this workaround.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 03:16:24 pm »
Thanks Paolo.  But I would like to be able to view either item when there is no existing relationship.  If the packages are checked out I could add the link, view the items and then remove it again.  But if the model is not checked out you can't use this workaround.
Ah... now I understand, good suggestion.  Submit a formal request via the support email.

Paolo
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-

Sean Kearon

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 01:05:09 am »
Thanks Paolo, will do.  So, I guess that the html form is your preferred feature request mechanism?  If so, I will use that in future.

Thanks again

Sean

thomaskilian

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2005, 01:25:11 am »
I asked for this feature a while ago - so add my vote!

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2005, 04:30:17 am »
Thanks Paolo, will do.  So, I guess that the HTML form is your preferred feature request mechanism?  If so, I will use that in future.

Thanks again

Sean
Hi Sean,
Yes and no :)

It's good to discuss proposals here - you'll see I do a lot of that.  Then, when there's consensus, I submit a formal request, often referencing the discussion here.

I'm submitting an average of 6 bugs/enhancements per day at present. ???  That's just me...

So, if the Sparxians are actually working on those, they don't get much chance to monitor the forum.  Posting an official request should mean it doesn't get lost... :o

When the Sparxians get their act together, you should receive an automated reply giving you something like an issue number so you can track things - like status etc. 8)

Some very professional one man shops are able to do it (and incidentally produce very high quality software).  It shouldn't be too hard for Sparx (should it Geoffrey?) ;D

HTH,

Paolo

« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 06:53:55 pm by PaoloFCantoni »
-Semantica-

Sean Kearon

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2005, 07:31:08 am »
Thanks for that Paolo.  For some reason I thought you were a 'Sparxian'....doh!

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2005, 11:17:23 am »
Thanks for that Paolo.  For some reason I thought you were a 'Sparxian'....doh!
Sean,
If I was, Geoffrey would have probably fired me by now! ;D

But seriously, it is to Sparx's credit that they allow full and frank discussion in these forums.  It will ultimately work to the benefit of EA.

Also, the Sparxians are denoted by the "red' stars.

Paolo
-Semantica-

colinc

• EA User
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2005, 04:57:45 pm »
While on the topic of matrix view enhancements I have another one.

That the source and target packages are not displayed in the titles. Space is tight on this screen and it's seems a waste to display it on every line when it is displayed in the source/target fields at the top anyway!

Thanks, Colin

thomaskilian

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2005, 01:15:48 am »
While on the topic of matrix view enhancements I have another one.

That the source and target packages are not displayed in the titles. Space is tight on this screen and it's seems a waste to display it on every line when it is displayed in the source/target fields at the top anyway!

Thanks, Colin

You already can do this: right click in the top frame (where source/target is displayed). You get a context menu (hard to find :o someone showed this to me some time ago). Click Options/Show Package Names.

colinc

• EA User
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2005, 04:47:58 pm »
Thanks for that ,
 There are many things hidden in here that aren't all that easy to find; but certainly help make it such a powerful program once you do!

Colin

colinc

• EA User
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2005, 05:17:21 pm »
I have put this request elsewhere http://www.sparxsystems.com.au/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=suggestions;action=display;num=1121995532 but was asked to join it with the matrix view requests, which makes sense.

It would be useful if you can select the Use Case or requirement (or really any object) on the relationship matrix page and select the object in the project browser. At the moment it can be difficult to find the item sometimes. This is particularly the case when I am working with requirements where some packages easily have 50-60 items.

Even being able to double click on the label and have the object brought up; instead of / as well as the current link information would simplify the process greatly.

Thanks, Colin