Author Topic: custom diagram Archimate business layer diagram  (Read 1338 times)

jobr

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
custom diagram Archimate business layer diagram
« on: January 12, 2018, 09:08:35 am »
Hi all,

I have created my own MDG technology with a number of toolbox profiles which are working fine. Now I'd like to create some custom diagram types to choose from when I choose New diagram. These custom diagrams should be of the same type of the Archimate business layer diagrams.
However, I dont know how to do this. I manage to create class diagrams extending the metaclass diagram_logical, but this is not exactly what I want.
Anyone any advice on this ?

Regards,
Job

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: custom diagram Archimate business layer diagram
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 09:26:38 am »
You might try this: create an Archimate diagram and run the SQL
Code: [Select]
SELECT name, styleEx FROM t_diagram. You will find your diagram with a stereotype like
Code: [Select]
MDGDgm=Archimate2::Business;; Now Archimate2::Business is something you can try to extend. I don't know if it works fully for diagrams like it does for elements.

q.

KP

• EA Administrator
  • EA Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 10:42:43 am »
Now Archimate2::Business is something you can try to extend. I don't know if it works fully for diagrams like it does for elements.

Not yet (EA 13)

but this is not exactly what I want.

Can you be more specific please. Why isn't your extended class diagram exactly what you want? Why can't you just use an ArchiMate diagram?
The Sparx Team
support@sparxsystems.com

jobr

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 12:53:53 am »
Hi,

Currently I have extended a class diagram and connected it to my own toolboxpage containing a number of standard Archimate concepts. However, If I create a number of concepts on a new instance of this new diagramtype and try to connect them using the quicklinker a different set of relationships appears than when I create the same concepts on a Archimate business layer diagram.

When I change my diagram type to Archimate business layer type the quicklinker shows the correct relationships.

KP

• EA Administrator
  • EA Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 11:10:42 am »
Ah yes, ArchiMate 3 quicklinks will only appear on ArchiMate 3 diagrams. Nothing to be done in EA13, I'm afraid.
The Sparx Team
support@sparxsystems.com

Nizam

• EA User
  • Model Sharing - Simplified
    • View Profile
    • Professional Model Collaboration
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 12:51:57 pm »
Hi,

Currently I have extended a class diagram and connected it to my own toolboxpage containing a number of standard Archimate concepts. However, If I create a number of concepts on a new instance of this new diagramtype and try to connect them using the quicklinker a different set of relationships appears than when I create the same concepts on a Archimate business layer diagram.

When I change my diagram type to Archimate business layer type the quicklinker shows the correct relationships.
Have you considered defining your own Quicklinker for the toolbox you've created?

jobr

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 06:56:46 pm »
Ok, thanks for the reply. Assume then it is not possible to create extension of Archimate diagram to inherit the quicklinker functionality.

Have not worked on quicklinker configuration before. Is it possible to copy the quicklinker used for Archimate and use it in my own MDG ?

Nizam

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 07:57:24 pm »
Are you creating new stereotypes or are you using ArchiMate stereotypes in your toolbar.

Uou must see ArchiMate quicklinker if you are using Stereotypes from ArchiMate, (AFAIK this has very little to do with diagram type)
Even your custom stereotype, if it extends from ArchiMate, you will see the default quick linkers.

However to answer your last question, You can use the Quick LInker definition from the original MDG.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Sparx Systems\EA\MDGTechnologies\ArchiMate3.xml, line 3065 gives the quicklinker definition.

Nizam

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 08:45:13 am »
Uou must see ArchiMate quicklinker if you are using Stereotypes from ArchiMate, (AFAIK this has very little to do with diagram type)
See Quick Linker Definition Format
Column E is a diagram filter.
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

Nizam

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 04:35:16 pm »
See Quick Linker Definition Format
Column E is a diagram filter.

Okay. Thanks for the  note.