Author Topic: Can you create patterns of just Arcs?  (Read 1630 times)

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
Can you create patterns of just Arcs?
« on: April 04, 2022, 06:12:26 pm »
We use patterns to create toolbox entries that will create vertices with multiple stereotypes and specific property settings (Tags).

Is it possible to do the same with arcs?  We'd like to be able to select a toolbox item and create a relationship between two vertices that has multiple stereotypes and/or additional properties.

I've had a look at the documentation, but it wasn't clear to me one way or the other.

TIA,
Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: Can you create patterns of just Arcs?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2022, 07:05:12 pm »
Not sure if it's what you ask, but I have also created icons for connectors that appear in the toolbox.

q.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2022, 10:18:33 pm »
Not sure if it's what you ask, but I have also created icons for connectors that appear in the toolbox.

q.
No, that's what I'm asking.  Those icons will create a single stereotype connector.  I have many tens of them.

I want to be able to create a connector with multiple stereotypes.

Paolo
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2022, 08:37:14 am »
Kind of, maybe.

You need to create the pattern with the elements and allow them to use the merge behavior. When you create the pattern you would need to select the existing elements that they correspond to. The result would be that EA would add the relationships between those elements.

So, it's not as smooth as the process for creating elements. The relationships can't exist without the elements, which makes it harder.
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

KP

• EA Administrator
  • EA Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2022, 09:38:52 am »
And of course the other approach would be an addin that responds to EA_OnPostNewConnector
The Sparx Team
support@sparxsystems.com

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2022, 06:59:13 pm »
Kind of, maybe.

You need to create the pattern with the elements and allow them to use the merge behaviour. When you create the pattern you would need to select the existing elements that they correspond to. The result would be that EA would add the relationships between those elements.

So, it's not as smooth as the process for creating elements. The relationships can't exist without the elements, which makes it harder.
Thanks, Eve,
I understand the principle and suspected something similar would be required, but unfortunately, that's too cumbersome for our needs.  The "friction" is too high.
Is there any point in putting in a feature request?  Perhaps allowing multiple stereotype names on the toolbox line?

Paolo
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 07:05:24 pm by Paolo F Cantoni »
-Semantica-

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2022, 07:04:50 pm »
And of course the other approach would be an addin that responds to EA_OnPostNewConnector
Thanks Neil,
I've often considered this approach to solve a variety of similar problems, but haven't got around to it.  Don't have the resources, at present.

Paolo
-Semantica-