Author Topic: Archimate - unable to register realized by relation  (Read 408 times)

ccastelein

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Archimate - unable to register realized by relation
« on: July 29, 2022, 11:30:35 pm »
Hi,

I want to link a business capability to a business process that realizes this capability, but I end up with "Invalid combination of source and target types for this connector type". Since we're only getting started with introducing business capabilities, I'm not sure if this is something that used to work in previous versions of EA, mine is EA 16 (build 1604).

Kind regards,
Christophe

ccastelein

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Re: Archimate - unable to register realized by relation
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2022, 12:23:27 am »
Also the specification in https://pubs.opengroup.org/architecture/archimate3-doc/apdxb.html clearly shows that a realization relationship should be possible from a business process to a capability (see 4th table in topic "Relationship Tables" where you have From business to strategy)

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2022, 06:09:56 am »
There's some sort of emergency exit. In the settings for connectors (good luck in finding it) you can turn off "Strict connector syntax" which lets you create *any* invalid connector without a check from EA. Not in the matters of Archimate but if you consider it a bug (and it looks so) you should send an official bug report. (See bottom of this page and just refer to this thread as for the details.)

q.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 06:23:35 pm by qwerty »

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 08:52:03 am »
Any chance you're using a UML realization instead of an ArchiMate one?

If I use the quicklinker between a Business Process and a Capability it offers the two options specified in that table (Realization and Association) If I explicitly select the Realization from an ArchiMate toolbox it can also be created.
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com