Author Topic: Link Use Case with Requirement  (Read 6743 times)

hal9000x

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Link Use Case with Requirement
« on: July 09, 2009, 07:35:25 pm »
I startet creating my requirements. The use case model was next. Now I want to create link from the use case to the requirement. I tried to use the tab Requirement in the use case properties and tried to "Move External". The problem is, that a new requirement was created every time. I didn't found a way to link to an existing one. Please help.

Graham_Moir

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Link Use Case with Requirement
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 10:38:14 pm »
There are a number of ways to do this,  but the most straightforward is to create a diagram to show how the requirements are being implemented/realised.  Then:
1) Drag a requirement onto the diagram as a simple link
2) Drag the relevant Use Case onto the diagram as a simple link
3) With the Use Case selected/in focus,  use the quicklinker (the arrow near the top right corner of the selected element)  to create a "realize" relationship between the 2 elements  - to do this click on the arrow and hold the left mouse button down while you drag it to hover over the requirement.  Let the mouse button go,  and from the context menu that appears select "realization".

hal9000x

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 10:40:45 pm »
Perfect, thanks a lot.

Dermot

• EA Administrator
  • EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 04:24:50 pm »
You can also drag a requirement onto a Use Case to create a Realization linK
EA Help: "you can quickly generate a Realize connector by dragging an existing Requirement element from the Project Browser over the element that implements the Requirement. Enterprise Architect interprets this as a request to create the Realize connector and does so automatically. The Requirement element is not added to the diagram. However, if you subsequently drag the Requirement onto the diagram the connector is already in place."

Graham_Moir

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 06:35:10 pm »
Drag and drop is a great way to achieve this, but if you have many to do at once, another method to consider is a matrix profile between requirements and use cases - you can create the relationships directly in the matrix.

dmacneil

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 05:39:41 am »
Dermot:

I have tried to Drag N Drop the requirement to a Use Case element using the Project browser but it will not create the Realization link. I have submitted this as an issue via registered user bug support pages to no avail.

Is there a setting / option that has to be turned on for this to work? Currently, it moves the requirement to UNDER the Use Case element not create Realization link.

Please help.

RoyC

• EA Administrator
  • EA Practitioner
  • Read The Help!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 02:06:49 pm »
In the Help, the topic that Dermot was quoting from has the section heading Connect on Diagram. It sounds as if you are applying the instructions to two elements in the Project Browser - in that case you do indeed move the Requirement to become a child element of the Use Case.

Your Use Case should be sitting in a diagram that you have displayed. Click on the Requirement in the Project Browser, hold the mouse button down and drag the Requirement onto the diagram and over the Use Case. Release the mouse button.

To see the Realize connector, you can add the Requirement to the diagram, or look at the Require tab of the Use Case Properties dialog, or look at the Relationship Matrix for the package or packages containing the Use Case and Requirement elements.
Best Regards, Roy