Enterprise Architect supports distributed development using two different techniques.
Using replication, geographically separated analysts can update and modify parts of the model in replicas, then merge these back together at a central location.
Using XML-based import/export, you can export discrete Packages to XML to share among the development team; this has several benefits over replication:
- You can assemble a model from only the parts necessary to get your job done
- You can assemble a full model if required
- You can assemble a model from different Package versions for different purposes (such as customer visible, internal release only)
- You can roll-back parts of a model as required
- There is less chance of 'collisions' between developers if each works on a discrete Package
- The process is controllable using a Version Control system, or through Package control
XML-based import/export is UML1.3 / XMI1.1 compliant; you can also write XML based tools to manipulate and extract information from XML files to enhance the development process.
XML-based Import/Export is accessed through the 'Publish > Model Exchange > Export Package' and 'Import Package' ribbon options.