Author Topic: CREATE INDEX DDL  (Read 1223 times)

olivers

• EA Novice
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
    • View Profile
CREATE INDEX DDL
« on: September 20, 2002, 06:21:50 am »
The DDL created for indexes always seems to look like

CREATE INDEX myindex ON mytable (myfield DESC|ASC, myotherfield DESC|ASC);

Why is DESC|ASC listed for every field when I can only define the order once for the whole index?

But the real problem is that two databases I'm using (Interbase and DBISAM) don't support that syntax at all, but need

CREATE DESCENDING|ASCENDING INDEX myindex ON mytable (myfield, myotherfield);

I don't find a way to change that syntax, can I? Is this the right place to ask for features like this, anyway?

Thanks!

sparks

• EA Administrator
  • EA User
    • View Profile
Re: CREATE INDEX DDL
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2002, 06:08:05 am »
This message was replied to via email, below is a copy of the reply.

Hello,

At the moment there is no way to change DDL syntax, however at the moment we are in the process of investigating what is the best way to implement this type of functionality.  We would hope to include this type of functionality early next year, sorry we can't be more help at the moment.

Paul Mathers

bmoelk

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Re: CREATE INDEX DDL
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2002, 08:58:24 am »
Perhaps there is some way to have DDL events fire for particular statements and those interested can write handlers for the various statements they wish to output.  You could include some of these handlers for various DB's out of the box but leave it open and fully customizable for the end-user.

A reasonable way to do this is would be to use some scripting engine and enable the user to write some JScript or VB script to manipulate strings based on some input parameters passed in by EA.