Author Topic: "Bug Report" and "Feature Request" forums?  (Read 1551 times)

CJ

• EA User
    • View Profile
"Bug Report" and "Feature Request" forums?
« on: February 19, 2003, 04:29:07 am »
G'day folks,

Would it make sense to have a "Bug Report" forum?

That forum would allow anyone to check on whether or not a bug has already been reported and whether or not it has been fixed in some release/build of EA ...

I think a "Feature Request" forum might be a good thing for discussing and elaborating on any feature request.  A posting into a discussion could indicate whether or not a feature request has been implemented in some release/build of EA ...
Cheers and best regards.

Tjerk

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: "Bug Report" and "Feature Request" forums?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2003, 08:35:21 am »
Hi Jason,

I agree for the requests one. Now the bugs, requests and various other discussions get mingled.

However, it makes it less obvious to start a discussion coming from a bug. My guess is that most people will just post their (supposed) bug in the bug forum and not look at that forum again. At this moment, many (supposed) bugs get an answer that helps the poster by:
- stating it isn't a bug, it is not completely understood by the bug poster;
- it might be a bug, but poster suggests a workaround;

Checking on whether or not a bug has been posted still relies on the thouroughness of the search by the bug owner, independant of the separate forum.

Closing a bug discussion by Geoff when a release fixes the bug might be nice, but this is probably complicated.

Interesting might be a publication by Geoff of their own buglist, stating the noticed bugs (by themselfs and the posters) in their own words, maybe including an estimated date of fix. This list would assure me my reported bug is on Sparx's list and is rightly understood  :).

Requests are interesting enough to peak at that forum and join discussions on the request. So a request forum can be nice. And maybe again Sparx can publish their list of planned (and rejected) future enhancements. There is a forum for the latter one, but it is not updated anymore ???.

Greetings,
Tjerk

fwoolz

• EA User
  • We have met the enemy, and he is us.<Pogo, 1970>
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2003, 08:58:53 am »
My Tuppence:

I agree that a "Feature Request" forum is a great idea... however, I would also give a bit more consideration to a "Bug Report" forum or equivalent... perhaps something along the lines of "Bugzilla" for reporting & managing bugs?  If this is too much of an administrative albatross, then a simple forum for putative "bugs" is not a bad idea, difficulties notwithstanding.

Cheers,
Fred Woolsey
Fred Woolsey
Interfleet Technology Inc.

Always be ready to laugh at yourself; that way, you beat everyone else to the punch.

CJ

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2003, 09:28:27 am »
G'day,

I agree.  A current list of bugs and projected fixes would be much better than a forum.
Cheers and best regards.

Steve_Straley

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2003, 10:11:46 am »
Hi,

Well... why not have a download-able EAP file that has in it ISSUES, DEFECTS and things like that available.   That way we all can see if our enhancements are posted and the status of our issues and defects?   Just an idea but why not use the very tool to help???

Steve
Steve Straley

CJ

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2003, 04:38:54 am »
Not a shabby idea at all, Steve.  That would be pretty neat.
Cheers and best regards.