Author Topic: How can I connect the EA in my SQL Server 2000?  (Read 439 times)

AALuiz

• EA Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
How can I connect the EA in my SQL Server 2000?
« on: February 08, 2006, 10:44:34 am »
I'm testing de Trial version of EA and I can't connect in sql server in the bouth cases: ODBC Drivers and SQL Drivers.
How can I testing this featurings?

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
Re: How can I connect the EA in my SQL Server 2000
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 01:11:52 pm »
You will first have to create and populate a database in SQL Server. Then you can get connected.

[I am assuming you are trying this from the user interface. If you are trying to connect via the automation interface see below.]

Use whatever tool you have handy to create a new, empty database in SQL Server. Then run the DDL script that you can download from the Sparx Resources page. [Remember to first set your new database as the default before you run the script, or edit the script to include an appropriate USE command.]

Then you will have to populate the empty database with enough reference data to get EA up and running properly. An easy way to go about this is:
  • Create or choose a suitable 'starter' EA project as an EAP file. This could be the default file, or perhaps an empty file you set up as a baseline.
  • Open EA and choose Tools/Data Management/Data Transfer... from the EA Menu.
  • Make sure you select the EAP to DBMS radio button.
  • Use the browse [...] button to select your starter project as the Source Model.
  • Use the Target Model browse [...] button to invoke the ODBC (or OLE) connection dialog from Windows.
  • Follow the dialog options (driver, server, account) to navigate to your database. Make sure you select the new database you created at the beginning. It's always best to test the connection using the button on the dialog.
  • Do the transfer and you are ready to go.

Once you've done all this you still need to open the EA model on your server. This is easy. Just choose File/Open Project. Remember to check the Connect to Server check box. Once you have done that you use the Browse button to get the Windows connection dialog as above. Follow the same procedure. You will be asked to give the model a name - this is for human reference, and can be pretty much anything you want.

After you have done this once the model will appear in the menu and the recent models list; just clicking on either will reconnect you as long as the server parameters don't change.

If you need to connect via the automation interface, there is one additional thing you need to know. EA wants the connection string in place of a file name. However, EA prefixes the string with the model name and some punctuation. The easiest way to see what you need is to read the entry from the File menu. It will have the name, a space and three dashes, and another space, then the connection string. Just make sure you get it right and EA will do the rest.

Let me know if you still cannot get things going.

David
No, you can't have it!