Author Topic: reverse engineering difficulties  (Read 903 times)

Davedub

• EA Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
reverse engineering difficulties
« on: July 25, 2006, 07:47:36 am »
Hi,

I'm currently trying to reverse engineer our existing code using EA. After setting lots of preprocessor macros, EA cannot parse the following lines:

CUnknown * WINAPI AVMonFilter::CreateInstance(LPUNKNOWN pUnk, HRESULT *phr)

I have tried replacing WINAPI with __stdcall to no avail (LPUNKNOWN and HRESULT are already set as preprocessor macros).

Another un-parsable line is:

HRESULT CAVMonFile::LoadCustomProfile( LPCTSTR ptszProfileFileName, IWMProfile ** ppIWMProfile, BOOL& bEmptyVidRect )

Is this a COM issue? (LPCTSTR, BOOL and HRESULT are set as preprocessor macros)

The final problem is the use of the __int64 type being passed as an argument to a macro in this line:

REGENTRY_CONV_NUMERIC_STORAGETYPE(__int64, 28, %I64d, _ttoi64(lpszStr), (__int64)dwDWORD)

EA reports: Unexpected symbol: __int64

I've tried looking around for some detailed documentation on the reverese engineering process, but the help files seem a little sparse.

Can anyone shed light on what's going on? Does anyone know if there is some more detailed information on reverse engineering?

Thanks in advance,

- Dave

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
Re:  reverse engineering difficulties
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 03:13:30 pm »
What's going on is that EA totally ignores anything that is defined as a macro.  In the first two examples, having HRESULT and BOOL defined will cause EA to fail to parse.  The reason for this is that EA sees a pointer or reference without a type.

In contrast to that, you will need to define a macro 'REGENTRY_CONV_NUMERIC_STORAGETYPE()' (everything inside the quotes including the brackets) to get get the last line to parse.

What have you read in the help file?

http://www.sparxsystems.com/EAUserGuide/index.html?languagemacros.htm talks about preprocessor macros.
http://www.sparxsystems.com/EAUserGuide/index.html?reverseengineersourcecode.htm is the general reverse engineering help.
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com