Author Topic: 7.1 Beta 2 Feedback  (Read 7060 times)

mrf

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: 7.1 Beta 2 Feedback
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2008, 10:46:14 am »

OK,I'm convinced!  With Sparks support (my gosh!  They even support Betas!!), I got a good install of Beta 2.  

Even though I'm designated with "Administrator" privileges on my machine, doing a right-click on the install file and selecting "Run as Administrator" did the trick.  Install was clean.

Can I just reiterate what I communicated to Jim through support email for the benefit of everone else:

Under Windows Vista (with UAC turned on) an application starts with only Standard permissions, regardless of what level of authority the current user has. As a result, the installer run normally with an admin account under Vista will only have standard priveleges and will either not be able to write to certain critical areas of the registry/file system, or redirect the write requests to a per-user virtualised registry/filesystem.

To grant an application Administrator privileges, you must either
- Right click and select "Run as administrator" (Recommended)
- Change Vista security policies to always run as administrator (Dangerous)

Any processes that that process creates will automatically inherit the higher permissions.

So the recomendation is that if you've got UAC turned on, always run an installer with "Run as administrator"

PS: There is a nice and clear explanation of Vista's UAC and its effects here http://www.jimmah.com/vista/Security/uac.aspx

PPS: The difference between Standard and Admin user accounts in this instance is that when you right click and select "Run as Administrator" the Standard user will be prompted to enter an Admin username and password, whereas the Admin user will not.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 10:54:08 am by mfraser »
Best Regards,

Michael

support@sparxsystems.com
"It is more complicated than you think." - RFC 1925, Section 2.8

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2008, 12:34:36 pm »
Thanks Michael,

So correct!

But despite the fact that Vista is the author of our woes, it is we who have to live with them.

At the least we [you?] need to work with Roy, so he can get this front and center. Not everyone uses Vista, but the simple [insert your comments here] fact of the matter is that this is going to be a consideration going forward. EA 7.1 will live in that world.

So once again - to make my point overly strong - please get Roy to make this prominent.

This also points - just as strongly, but not for the first time - to the need for a new forum section: FAQ. Please talk to your colleagues, get them on board, and figure out some administration policies. [I don't suggest leaving the greater 'us' to do this; we're far too hungry at this point to initiate it correctly.

David
No, you can't have it!

RoyC

• EA Administrator
  • EA Practitioner
  • Read The Help!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2008, 02:44:12 pm »
This wouldn't go in the Help - if you can't install EA, you can't read the Help. If you can install EA, why would you need the installation warning?

It couldn't go in the Installation file, because existing users who upgrade don't get that. Well, it could, to intercept new users, but not everyone uses Vista either.

It could be an intercept in the download, keyed to Vista users. This is feasible, but we need to look at it more closely.

My Mum also told me there would be days like this.
Best Regards, Roy

jeshaw2

• EA User
  • I'm a Singleton, what pattern are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2008, 09:39:37 pm »
How about putting it on the site where the download file is found?
Put it close to the download link for those who don't read the entire download site.  8-)
Verbal Use Cases aren't worth the paper they are written upon.

RoyC

• EA Administrator
  • EA Practitioner
  • Read The Help!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2008, 08:35:31 am »
Rethink - rather than try to find the perfect location and risk missing people, we decided to put a note in everywhere and catch as many people as possible, including those who are not interested.  

Best Regards, Roy

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2008, 09:02:09 am »
Rethink - rather than try to find the perfect location and risk missing people, we decided to put a note in everywhere and catch as many people as possible, including those who are not interested.
Good idea Roy. Some percentage of those people just don't know they are interested, at least not yet.

Ya done a good thing, lad.   [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
No, you can't have it!