Author Topic: Was I helpful Yes No Thumbs  (Read 5741 times)

jeshaw2

• EA User
  • I'm a Singleton, what pattern are you?
    • View Profile
Was I helpful Yes No Thumbs
« on: March 15, 2008, 11:36:41 pm »
Where is the documentation on this subject?  Closest thing I could find was polls under the category button, but I can't find that either.  :-/
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 11:37:14 pm by jeshaw2 »
Verbal Use Cases aren't worth the paper they are written upon.

thomas.kilian

Re: Was I helpful Yes No Thumbs
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 05:57:59 am »
Your post was not helpful, so I should press No, shouldn't I?

thomas.kilian

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 07:58:02 am »
Posting a Poll
If you have a question you would like to ask this community, YaBB gives you the ability to create a poll along with your topic. This is a fantastic way to get a good idea of what this community feels about your question. To post a poll, find the button titled "Start New Poll" from the category view and click it. The exact location of this button will vary depending on which template is being used, but it is often near the top of the list of topics. On this special post page, type in your question and options in the respectively labeled box, then fill out your message as described above.
This is from the help (now your post became helpful).

But: Where is this "Start New Poll"

jeshaw2

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 08:02:09 am »
Your post was not helpful, so I should press No, shouldn't I?
The only "no" button I can see is yours.  Are you seeing a "no" button on my post, or are you suggesting that you click your own "no" button?

jeshaw2

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 08:05:44 am »
Where is this "Start New Poll"

I'm not even sure that the thumbs are related to polls!  :-/  Nor do I see the "Start New Poll" button.

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 09:16:56 am »
Folks, [Jim and AB primarily]

FWIW...

We each see the buttons on others' posts, not our own.

There is a list of one template provided by Sparx. We get to choose freely from that one.

I suspect without proof that the "poll" is created automatically for each thread, or even each post.

Some time ago I mentioned this to Sparx, wanting to know (as did some others) what the new system was all about. I received something very much along the lines of what we all see in: http://www.sparxsystems.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1203302854.

A while ago - I gave the change some time to 'percolate' the only mentions of "karma" on the entire Sparx site where the post referenced above and my question. I have not searched since, having no remaining interest in getting involved further.

David
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 09:17:20 am by Midnight »
No, you can't have it!

jeshaw2

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 12:52:35 pm »
We each see the buttons on others' posts, not our own.

That makes sense.  So, where does one go the see the results of the Yes and No votes?

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 01:55:55 pm »
You have to 'thank' your lucky stars, at least I think that's how it works.
No, you can't have it!

thomas.kilian

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 08:29:42 pm »
My first answer was a bit sarcastic, but the point was: who should I vote negative and why? There is only one person with vanishing karma and I honestly do not understand why because the posts of this person are one of the most valuable in this forum. So it must have been voted negative (I assume). But by whom? Operators? The karma seems to rise very slowly. Is it falling very fast? Obscure :-?

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 09:40:37 pm »
I too find it a bit of a mystery. The case you site makes it even more so.
No, you can't have it!

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 08:40:18 am »
The 'Start New Poll' function has currently been restricted to Admin users only, but this is not relevant to the 'Was I helpful?' buttons.  These are in effect a silent and anonymous poll that records the difference between 'Yes' and 'No' across all posts a user has made.  I was told that it takes 500 x 'No' to get to 0 stars, and 500 x 'Yes' to get to 5 stars. I did run a test when on this before upgrading this forum and it did work in the right direction.  You see the results only in the star ranking.

Two of you have said that you find it odd that one very helpful person is losing karma.  So, say that yes his posts are helpful.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 08:45:52 am by simonm »
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

Thomas Mercer-Hursh

• EA User
  • Computing Integrity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 09:54:03 am »
So, how does one see a karma score other than by the crude mechanism of looking at the stars?

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 09:55:53 am »
So, how does one see a karma score other than by the crude mechanism of looking at the stars?
You see the results only in the star ranking.
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

RoyC

• EA Administrator
  • EA Practitioner
  • Read The Help!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 01:16:23 pm »
Perhaps don't think of it as a score, but (like Karma itself) some general indication of the overall appreciation of the contributor by the forum community.

The flaw with the previous star system was that a person could become an EA Guru simply by posting lots of unhelpful new items (although I do point out that all the forum members with the highest scores are actually true gurus and much valued). More significantly, an infrequent but highly gifted contributor could post a suggestion that helps the entire user community whilst retaining the somewhat belittling epithet of "EA Newbie".

The new system is more representative, with the true gurus gaining karma value and 'starshine' regardless of the frequency of their postings. (With some 13,000 forum members, a truely helpful person could easily get 500 good hits on just one posting, if everyone used the system.)
Best Regards, Roy

jeshaw2

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 02:05:55 pm »
Perhaps don't think of it as a score, but (like Karma itself) some general indication of the overall appreciation of the contributor by the forum community.

The flaw with the previous star system was that a person could become an EA Guru simply by posting lots of unhelpful new items (although I do point out that all the forum members with the highest scores are actually true gurus and much valued). More significantly, an infrequent but highly gifted contributor could post a suggestion that helps the entire user community whilst retaining the somewhat belittling epithet of "EA Newbie".

The new system is more representative, with the true gurus gaining karma value and 'starshine' regardless of the frequency of their postings. (With some 13,000 forum members, a truely helpful person could easily get 500 good hits on just one posting, if everyone used the system.)

I wonder how many of the members know this?  I know that I did not understand Karma nor Starshine in this forum's context nor the importance of voting Yes or No to help one to ascertain a level of credibility in advice received from others in the forum.  

As Paolo says: Consistency, Consistency, Consistency;
I say: Communicate, Communicate, Communicate.

How do we get the word out on this?  :-/