Author Topic: Package browser not showing all information  (Read 5878 times)

Kamal Hammoutene

• EA User
    • View Profile
Package browser not showing all information
« on: November 13, 2012, 07:41:39 pm »
The current "intented behavior" of the Package Browser can lead to important dependencies to be overlooked.

- For example, in package A with an element Ea: if I reference an element Eb (defined in package B which is not in package A hierarchy) by creating a link to/from Ea, the current Package Browser do not show this dependency in the element list.

IMHO, this is very misleading, if you want, for example, to export for review all the elements and links contained in package A.

Anybody has the same worry?

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: Package browser not showing all information
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 08:14:35 pm »
Yes, me. I wrote a script to create an xref on a nightly basis to find out cross package links. It would be nice to see something in EA which supports that. However, I've no idea how that could look like on a general basis.

q.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 12:15:05 am »
The package browser shows elements, not relations.

If you want to export all elements and links contained in package A you'll have to use another method.

Besided, if you wanted to know all dependencies from within your package then you'll also have to take into account the attributes or parameters that use another class as their type.

And maybe also all behaviors that somehow call an operation on an element in another package, and ...

Geert

Kamal Hammoutene

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 04:15:24 am »
The package browser shows elements, not relations.

If you want to export all elements and links contained in package A you'll have to use another method.

Geert

What I like in the Package Browser, it is that I can bring a reviewer of my model (my package) in EA without having him to deal with diagrams and their contents. The reviewer will work in an Excel-like environment so no training would be necessary.

My remark is made in a context of using EA for Systems Engineering (SysML) and not for software. I need to be able to manage all requirements allocated to a sub-system for example (looking at their status, priorities, ...). Many requirements are standards/compliance requirements which are defined in projects-wide areas (i.e. outside my package)>

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 09:46:12 am »
As Geert said, the Package Browser is intended to show the elements contained in a package. Not everything that is referenced by a package. If it was intended to show the references then it would. It's just meant for a different use case from what you're trying to use it for. That doesn't make it wrong or misleading.

If you want a list of all the requirements impacted by a package in a table view then run a custom sql query using the #Branch# subsititution and joining two copies of t_object to the t_connector table.
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

Kamal Hammoutene

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 11:14:31 pm »
As Geert said, the Package Browser is intended to show the elements contained in a package. Not everything that is referenced by a package. If it was intended to show the references then it would. It's just meant for a different use case from what you're trying to use it for. That doesn't make it wrong or misleading.

If you want a list of all the requirements impacted by a package in a table view then run a custom sql query using the #Branch# subsititution and joining two copies of t_object to the t_connector table.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Where I can find the MS-SQL database schema so I can write my SLQ query?
If you have a query which does similar things, I am interest too.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 11:17:43 pm »
The schema is created via the SQL you can download from Sparx' resources. You should have it at hand when you work with a MS-SQL database.

q.

Kamal Hammoutene

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 08:25:56 pm »
The schema is created via the SQL you can download from Sparx' resources. You should have it at hand when you work with a MS-SQL database.

q.
Thanks.
yes, I can look at the SQL instructions to create the database and tables but it does not tell me how tables are linked and what are the definition of the attributes (column tables).

Can I safely use the UML standard definition (i.e UML specifications) and map them to the EA SQL database?

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 08:33:33 pm »
No the EA database and the UML specifications are two very different things.

There is no official database documentation. The best you can do is buy the book from Thomas Killian: Inside EA

Geert

Kamal Hammoutene

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 09:40:06 pm »
No the EA database and the UML specifications are two very different things.

There is no official database documentation. The best you can do is buy the book from Thomas Killian: Inside EA

Geert
It does imply, that If I create complex queries for making consistency checks or generating special reports, I am not guaranteed that it will still work with a new EA release.  >:( >:( >:(

Sorry, but querying directly the database looks like hacking to me and something to forbidden in a professional environment.

Makulik

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 10:00:07 pm »
I am not guaranteed that it will still work with a new EA release. †>:( >:( >:(

The DB schema is the least thing Sparx Systems will change in an incompatible manner, believe me. That strictness already causes various other problems, because solutions for these would need to change the EA DB model.

Best regards,
GŁnther

Kamal Hammoutene

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 11:29:51 pm »
I am not guaranteed that it will still work with a new EA release. †>:( >:( >:(

The DB schema is the least thing Sparx Systems will change in an incompatible manner, believe me. That strictness already causes various other problems, because solutions for these would need to change the EA DB model.

Best regards,
GŁnther
Thanks GŁnther for your input.

I am sorry to disagree.

Us, users of EA, either modellers or administrators, we have no need to know the DB schema. We should stay at the conceptual level (e.g. UML, SysML, BPMN, ...). This will guarantee that Sparx could change the DB schema as much as they want (for speed, standardization, reuse, ...) without impacting our use of EA.

This is a just a good and sound "old" sotware engineering practice.  ;)

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 01:25:53 am »
Indeed. However, another good old practice says: you have to have a hack some time.

q.

volenin

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2012, 08:24:57 am »
... just open the EAP file from within MS Access and knock yourself out - I found having EA Sparx open side-by-side with MS Access helps a lot in figuring out relationships between UML elements and their representation in the sparx DB. Very painful process though.... :(

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2012, 10:16:35 pm »
I know. That's what I did writing my book...

q.