Author Topic: Gap Analysis - Baseline and Target Packages  (Read 1352 times)

_Ben_

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Gap Analysis - Baseline and Target Packages
« on: August 07, 2014, 08:28:24 pm »
Hi,

I've been trying to better represent by baseline and target architectures in my EA projects.

The trouble I'm having is in quickly reporting on the differences between the states. Reading the Sparx documentation I see that the Gap Analysis feature could help me out.

Where an element exists in both baseline and target architecture I tend to duplicate the element. The Gap Analysis tool always seems to pick these elements up as new.

Is my understanding of the Gap Analysis tool incorrect?

Is there a better way of managing the situation where baseline elements existing in the target state? I wondered if by not duplicating elements I could make the situation better, sadly to no avail and also has an undesirable effect in replicating target associations in the baseline models!

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Ben.

Sunshine

• EA User
  • Emoji's make you look younger
    • View Profile
Re: Gap Analysis - Baseline and Target Packages
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 09:09:15 am »
Not used the gap analysis matrix in anger but how I interpret how to use it is that it cross references elements in baseline to target. So in essence you are duplicating elements if they exist in both states. Where elements exist only in the baseline but not the target you have a column where you can create a gap element to say it is missing or was eliminated. Where you have an element only in the target state you have a row where you can add a gap element to say something about the gap. Finally where an element exists in both you can either say nothing about it or add a note to say something about it like it was upgraded in someway or no change.

_Ben_

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 04:42:36 am »
What you're saying makes a lot of sense now. I guess I had my hopes a little too high on what I might be able to automatically achieve with gap analysis matrix.

Thanks.

Sunshine

• EA User
  • Emoji's make you look younger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 06:43:24 am »
Automatic gap analysis mmh? Sounds like good idea I think there is potential for a new feature request in that thought. Maybe combine the compare utility with the gap matrix?
In the meantime you may want try looking at the compare utility. From the online help it says you can compare the following;
  • Compare a model branch in Enterprise Architect with a Baseline created using the Baseline functionality (Corporate, Business and Software Engineering, System Engineering and Ultimate editions)
  • Compare a model branch in Enterprise Architect with a  Baseline stored in a different model
  • Compare a model branch in Enterprise Architect with an XML 1.1 file on disk created previously using the Enterprise Architect XML export facility (user selects file)
  • Compare a model branch in Enterprise Architect with the current version-controlled XMI 1.1 file on disk as created when using Version Control in Enterprise Architect (file automatically selected)
  • Compare a .EAP file to another .EAP file
  • Compare a .EAP file to a DBMS-based repository
  • Compare two DBMS repositories
So you could base line the package then updated it to the future state and compare. The problem is if you are still developing the current state in parallel with the future.
Or you could put you current state in one model and future state in another.