Author Topic: Why does EA complain re: location of data objects?  (Read 1678 times)

SilverSage

• EA User
    • View Profile
Why does EA complain re: location of data objects?
« on: June 30, 2015, 04:26:11 am »
I have three data objects whose movement I'm trying to show through a BPMN 2.0 composite activity diagram.  I'm decomposing higher-level activities into lower-level activities and am creating links from those data objects in parent activities to show where those objects are required in the lower-level activities.  Each data object to which I create a link appears only one time in each diagram and only one time in the project browser. IOWTW, each of the linked data objects in the lower-level activities are the same objects that appear in their parent activities; they are not instances.

When I run the validator in my lower-level diagrams I get warnings that my data objects don't appear in the correct location in my project browser. I understand the warning messages I get, but do these warnings matter?  If so, why? If not, why does EA flag them?

Thanks for your help.

Michael

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: Why does EA complain location of data objects?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 06:42:32 am »
Again I have no idea about the BPMN validation (which comes with a set of own rules). But warnings are what they say. Proceed at your own risk, it's save as long as you know what you do. But you can disregard them. (Have you ever seen the output of a makefile for anything you install from somewhere? Tons of warnings but finally all works well.)

q.

SilverSage

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 07:25:58 am »
Thanks, q.  I guess I may have to direct this to Geert or EA support.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 04:36:11 pm »
I'm far from a BPMN expert (Phil Chudley from Dunstan Thomas is the real expert)
But the BPMN specs state following:
Data Object elements MUST be contained within Process or Sub-
Process elements.
So I guess if your data object is not owned (in the project browser) by a Process or Sub-Process you get these type of validation errors.

Geert

SilverSage

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Why does EA complain re: loc. of data objects?
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 11:26:39 pm »
Geert -

Object ownership was the first thing I checked yesterday (based upon the warning messages pasted below) and everything seems as it should be.  I guess my next stop is EA support.

* Warning Messages Follow *

Running BPMN2.0 Diagram Element's position in Project Browser Validator...      
        Warning: Either Element 'International Shipment (DataObject)' is incorrectly positioned on diagram (E.g. does the lane fit inside the Pool? Is the Zorder correct?).      
        Warning:   Or Element 'International Shipment (DataObject)' is at the wrong place in Project Browser. Valid places are: the sibling of the diagram, inside the Main-Pool (or its referenced Process).      
        Warning: Either Element 'Shipment Paperwork (DataObject)' is incorrectly positioned on diagram (E.g. does the lane fit inside the Pool? Is the Zorder correct?).      
        Warning:   Or Element 'Shipment Paperwork (DataObject)' is at the wrong place in Project Browser. Valid places are: the sibling of the diagram, inside the Main-Pool (or its referenced Process).      
Running Diagram Validators...      
Validate Results: (0) error(s), (4) warning(s)      

Thanks for your help.

Michael
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 11:32:31 pm by mlpreiss »