Author Topic: Sequence Instances vs Objects  (Read 2261 times)

Polymorph

• EA User
    • View Profile
Sequence Instances vs Objects
« on: February 19, 2016, 09:32:51 pm »
Not the first time this question has been asked

What is the difference between a sequence instance and an object? This post asks the question perfectly (created in 2004!!!!!)

http://sparxsystems.com/forums/smf/index.php/topic,13340.msg155877.html#msg155877

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: Sequence Instances vs Objects
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 11:09:30 pm »
In EA's database the first creates a (meta) type Sequence while the latter creates an Object. I have fostered (though not thoroughly)  the latest UML spec but could not find any such Sequence metatype. I guess it's a Sparxian invention. Both behave similar. I guess you could go with either but should be consistent. Still, unfortunately, EA allows the use of non-object (Sequence) elements in SD which causes problems on XMI transfer.

q.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 04:39:28 pm by qwerty »

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 08:39:55 am »
I have fostered (tough not thoroughly)  the latest UML spec but could not find any such Sequence metatype. I guess it's a Sparxian invention.

You also won't find "Object" as a metatype. It's called "Instance Specification".

My guess for Lifeline is that it comes from pre UML 2.
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

Polymorph

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 08:31:35 pm »
Thanks for that - does anyone know if there's a way to convert a "Sequence Instance" into an object?

A member of our team has been creating sequence diagrams using links to the classifier, rather than instances of the classifier. Aside from philosophical discussions about whether this approach is valid or not, this isn't in line with out modelling methodology. I've managed to convert them to Sequence Instances (Right click | Advanced | Convert to Property) but EA doesn't seem to want me to let me change this to an object (Element Menu | Advanced | Change type (greyed out))

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 08:50:43 pm »
The easiest way would probably be to run a script
Code: [Select]
Repository.Execute(""UPDATE t_object SET object_type='Object' WHERE object_type='Sequence'")
Backup before running that, just in case. I tried this and it seems to work with no issue.

q.