Author Topic: Networking Model Diagrams  (Read 3152 times)

Rasheed

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Networking Model Diagrams
« on: July 22, 2016, 01:28:37 am »
We need to create a number of networking model diagrams within EA. But I have not been able  to locate any Networking templates and appropriate Stencils. Can somebody please point me in the right direction. Are UML models or Archimate appropriate for networking topology diagrams and models?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 01:30:10 am by Rasheed »

PeterHeintz

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Networking Model Diagrams
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 02:11:47 am »
For such a diagram I would probably use a UML deployment diagram and maybe select alternative images (some you can download at Sparx homepage).
Best regards,

Peter Heintz

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 05:51:58 am »
Also have a look in the EA Example model (Help/Open Example Model). There are a couple of such network deployments shown.

q.

Glassboy

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 08:50:13 am »
We need to create a number of networking model diagrams within EA. But I have not been able  to locate any Networking templates and appropriate Stencils. Can somebody please point me in the right direction. Are UML models or Archimate appropriate for networking topology diagrams and models?

You can create networking diagrams using a UML deployment diagram or an Archimate technology viewpoint.  The problem is generally not the notation, it's the really bad habits people have picked up using Microsoft's Visio DTP tool.  You tend to see a Visio diagram with lots of stencils dropped on it showing every hop but very little contextual information, and very little information about whose areas of concern are being demonstrated.  they're generally very bad for answering questions.

If you start by thinking about your user, their role, the source(client), the target (server), what they're doing, and what your diagram audience needs to know you should be out to a good start.  here's a quick example.  You'll have to imagine some IP addresses on it.  You can model interfaces to represent NICs and router ports, or you can add tagged values, or you can label the end of the association.  It all depends on who needs what information and how you want it to come out of EA into a document.

NB:  People more pedantic than me will insist that the communication paths should be between the two components, but a firewall only knows about the nodes not what is running on them, and in my head I'm depicting what will be turned into firewall rules.

Sparx's more formal example is here

Rasheed

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 08:42:26 pm »
Thank  you very much for all the advice guys. This is much appreciated.