Author Topic: Monitor / Dialog box issues  (Read 1488 times)

Glassboy

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
Monitor / Dialog box issues
« on: March 17, 2017, 08:54:32 am »
Today - for the first time since the big earthquake - I've managed to get a desk with two monitors.  So I have my laptop screen, an HDMI connected monitor, and a DisplayPort connected monitor.

When I attempt to view the properties of a diagram (using 12.1) I loose control of the instance of EA.  I suspect the properties dialog is opening somewhere I can't see it.  If I disconnect one of the monitors and try the same thing.  Everything is fine.

Any tips for forcing all dialogs to the viewable screen coordinates?  I can view my registry but not edit it.

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Monitor / Dialog box issues
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 09:13:07 am »
What OS?

The only similar issue I've seen was Windows 10 with monitors using different DPI scaling.
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

Glassboy

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 10:59:24 am »
Windows 7.  I also have an issue with just one DisplayPort attached monitor with dialog boxes appearing half on the laptop screen (and half above), but in that case I can drag them sideways onto the other monitor and get at the top to move them properly.

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 02:46:38 pm »
You can probably get it back from wherever by pressing alt, down, enter. It puts the window in move mode. You can then move it with the keyboard. It used to be that moving the mouse when in this mode would snap the window to the mouse, not sure if that will happen for you.
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 04:09:33 pm »
I once had an issue where my computer thought up an imaginary third screen, and placed some of my items there.
I had to go into the old screen config window to see the third ghost screen and disable it manually.
After doing that all my lost items showed up on one of my actual screens.

Geert

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 07:50:49 pm »
I use different Workspace Layout setups for each type of screen configuration.

So if I lose something on the multi-screen configuration, I select "1 screen" and it tends to bring it back to the main screen.  Having a definitive setup of that kind may help.  Once I've got the window back, I can re-position it on the single screen, go back to the multi-screen and re-position it there and save the new Workspace Layout.

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

Glassboy

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 02:24:24 pm »
As well as the earthquake making our building temporarily uninhabitable, several of the floors were contaminated, so we are now in about seven new locations across the region.  No one has a fixed desk and the desks are populated with a random collection of new monitors and monitors that have been recovered from the old building and cleaned.  I will now have upwards of twenty screen configurations on my laptop.

I can turn off the other monitors and force all of the dialogues back to the main window but i don't think this actually helps, as it's the screen that has dialogues displayed off it when running with multiple monitors.  What I actually need is a way of forcing the dialogue to the other screen.  Or I suppose I could make the bigger screen the primary, but that's not my preference - until we get some proper ergonomic set ups.

skiwi

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
Orthogonality rules
Using EA14.0 (1422) on Windows 10 Enterprise/64 bit. Repositories in SQLServer2014 R2 & Access2003/JET4.0