Author Topic: How to properly capture Stakeholders & Concerns, prefereably in a matrix?  (Read 1460 times)

bnc

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Hi guys!  I'm a little new to EA (SE version), and trying to figure out how to do some of the things I used to in another software.  In particular, I recently noticed an example in the EA documentation of what looked like a matrix relating Stakeholders to Concerns, but no specific directions on how to accomplish this were included (I'll include links to this information at the end of this post).  In the software I came from, I would accomplish this by:
1) Create a bunch of Stakeholder elements, and also a bunch of Comment elements that act as Concerns (EA has no Comments???!!!)
2) Create a matrix with those Stakeholders & Comments as rows/columns, and set the relationship type to "has concern", such that each checked box in the array associates a Concern with a Stakeholder

The image on the EA website looks to be of a very similar construct, but the associated directions were not clear.  How do I accomplish this (image of matrix is at top of linked page):

Webpage link:http://www.sparxsystems.com/enterprise_architect_user_guide/13.0/guidebooks/ea_stakeholder_modeling.html

Thanks a bunch!

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
It's the relationship matrix. In V13 click the Start menu and enter "relati" in the search tab. Then use the 2nd result: Matrix. You can relate arbitrary elements from 2 different or of the same package.

q.

bnc

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Thank you!  I've got a rudimentary relationship matrix up now, with a collection of Stakeholder elements on the source side.  In order to get the matrix referenced in my first post, how should I address the following?

1) What type of element is being used as the "Target" entries in the matrix shown?
2) What is the "Link Type" one should select for Stakeholder/Concern relationships in EA?
3) How did they get the option of L/M/H in the matrix array slots (that looks handy!)?

Thanks again!

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Honestly, I rarely use the RM. I prefer to create diagrams and create links right there. As to which elements to use: this is a far too broad query. It depends on a lot of things. You might have a look into EA's example model (it's in the help, but don't ask me about where in V13). That might give you some ideas. I once jumped on ICONIX to get me a good start with UML analysis.

q.

KP

• EA Administrator
  • EA Expert
    • View Profile
Which language are you using? I notice that SysML has a <<Stakeholder>> stereotype with a "concern" tagged value that provides a memo field. But if you prefer the Relationship Matrix to memo tagged values, you could create your own <<Concern>> stereotype and use that.
The Sparx Team
support@sparxsystems.com

bnc

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Thanks KP.  I am indeed working in SysML, though you guys have helped me realize I've been bending the rules just slightly.  The method I've had in mind for working with Stakeholders/Concerns I learned from a presentation by L. Delligati (wrote SysML Distilled) here:

https://vimeopro.com/nomagic/no-magic-world-symposium-2016-presentations/video/169853717

The relevant bit is between 27:30 and 33:00.  It's a convenient way to get the modelling process started on a firm footing.  When I saw that matrix presented in the EA documentation (linked in my first post), it looked like much the same thing, and hence my interest in the details of how that particular matrix was constructed.

I do agree with you, KP, that the most straightforward thing to do is likely to create <<Concern>> as a custom stereotype, and use that to effectively override the Concern-as-Tag specified in the SysML documentation.

Eamonn John Casey

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: How to properly capture Stakeholders & Concerns, prefereably in a matrix?
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 03:09:38 am »
ArchiMate in the Motivation Layer has specific elements for exactly what you need. What is great about EA is that you can model in any language you like and as many of them as you like. If SysML can't do what you need have a look at ArchiMate Motivation. My company went down the route of customizing and even creating custom MDGs. When the base language gets a new version - you got a huge job to update your language BUT also all of the diagrams too.