Author Topic: ModelView alternative?  (Read 1284 times)

dambsst_gmail

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
    • dcgblimited
ModelView alternative?
« on: August 26, 2017, 04:23:42 am »
Hello,

Does anyone know an alternative to modelview? The features of it are very poor: only simple query, only select statements, no subqueries, no variables, no addin support neither...

ModelViews are the only way to visualize easily on a diagram a lot of related elements, is that true? I haven't found an alternative right now.

By example, how can I see with 2 tables on a diagram all the "drivers" associated with a " stakeholder" and all the "assessment associated with these "drivers"? Actually using modelviews it is not possible, the query is very large and takes very long time to process.... And even if it would go faster, it has to be modified for each "stakeholder" because we need the name of the stakeholder as parameter....

Am I the only one who run in this situation? How are you doing when there are so many elements that it becomes impossible (or very time consuming) or useless to use diagram because it doesn't update or refresh itself?

Thanks,

Damien

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: ModelView alternative?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 05:52:13 am »
The relationship matrix might be worth a look. It's a completely different view, though.

q.

dambsst_gmail

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
    • dcgblimited
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 08:16:13 am »
Thanks for your reply,

I am using the relationship matrix to edit the relations already because there are many elements and many many connectors. That's why drawing diagrams does not make sense, I would have to manually update them each time I am updating the relationship matrix.

Modelviews are great to display and review the connections edited with the relationship matrix because it can display a subset of interest on which we can see the mistakes, how to improve etc....

The relationship matrix is good for fast editing, but with a lot of rows and columns it becomes confusing during the design.

Damien

Helmut Ortmann

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 06:39:08 pm »
Hi,

I think you are right by suggesting that the ModelViews need some improvements. Consider making a feature request.

With SQL (Select *) you can get almost every information out of the EA Model. If you have a database with a reasonable database server performance shouldn't be an issue.  Yes, SQL alone is sometimes a bit annoying. But in the end, most things work.

A workaround is to fill an own table in the background and interpreting it by a simple SQL select.

Kind regards,

Helmut
Coaching, Training, Workshop (Addins: hoTools, Search&Replace, LineStyle)

dambsst_gmail

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
    • dcgblimited
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 12:27:30 am »
Hi Helmut,

Thanks a lot for your message, I didn't notice it because I don't receive any notifications from the forum and it's quite a pb....

I think that your solution of creating a new table with the relevant information is a great idea and I will implement it! Thanks for this suggestion because I really didn't think about it!

With my addin I can generate the new tables and populate them, and for more flexibility I may call the addin functions from scripts and pass parameters like name or uid of elements.

Best Regards,

Damien

Arquesoft

• EA User
  • EA Consulting and development in Spanish
    • View Profile
    • Arquesoft website
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 01:25:06 am »
What if you create a SQL search (not view)?, then you can add an hyperlink in your diagram to the search. Have in mind searches receive one parameter and in the search results you can group by columns