Author Topic: Setting connectors only show in the current diagram by default  (Read 951 times)

slaza

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Setting connectors only show in the current diagram by default
« on: December 06, 2017, 10:52:12 pm »
Dear All,

When I add a new connection to a diagram, it automatically shows up in all other diagrams. I need to switch off visibility manually for each and every new connector.

Is there any way to set the default visibility of a connector to show only on the current diagram, and I can switch visibility on if I wanted to anywhere else?

(I am sure that I am not the first person to ask this, but I just can't find the answer...)

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: Setting connectors only show in the current diagram by default
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 11:02:09 pm »
The answer is: you can't, and you shouldn't.

If you find yourself in the situation that you need that,  then you are doing something wrong.
Hiding relations should be an exception, for example when creating an overview diagram that you don't want to clutter with too much relations.

Geert

MaXyM

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 08:58:44 am »
In fact it would be very useful.
When modelling relational database, It's common to create several diagrams containing the same entities while their goal is to show different point of views.
When adding relation between specific elements appearing on those diagrams, usually I don't want to make a connector appear on all diagrams. Just on specific one(s).

Is it still true that there is no option to stop adding connector to all diagrams?

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 11:02:46 am »
How many exceptions does it take to make a norm?

You're both right.  Hiding arcs (on most diagrams) should not be automatic, but there should be better control over arc display on diagrams at arc creation time.

As  MaxXym says, some views (especially in Enterprise-wide modelling) require some arcs to be hidden as not helpful to that particular viewpoint.

BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING is to provide a "widget" to indicate that there are hidden arcs on a given diagram.  We created our own to do that. It is vitally important that the view is informed that they are NOT seeing the "full story".

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

matthew.james

• EA User
  • Am I supposed to say something here ... ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 01:26:22 pm »
How many exceptions does it take to make a norm?

Some common use cases that are relevant to this (IMO):
- Viewpoints often have focus on a particular types of interaction so the ability to control connector visibility by connector type would be useful (possible enhancement to the 'Set Visible Relations' window to group select by type)
- Some viewpoints are a higher level of abstraction than others and require 'derived' relationships to make the interactions clear, these derived relationships then pollute the more detailed diagrams (I don't have an easy answer to this one automatically, it's very hard to implement - I think Paolo mentioned in a previous post that they have implemented their own connector stereotypes to handle this manually ?)
- When multiple modelers are sharing a common model, changes made by one can affect diagrams being used by others so the ability to prevent additional connectors from appearing on diagrams would be useful (from memory I don't think locking the diagram achieves this)

As always there are downsides to most of this, the widget that Paolo has suggested is an intriguing idea to help mitigate those, and could maybe open the 'Set Visible Relations' window

This was raised in Bugs and Issues, probably better belongs in Suggestions and Requests, or at least General?

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 03:30:10 pm »
BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING is to provide a "widget" to indicate that there are hidden arcs on a given diagram.  We created our own to do that. It is vitally important that the view is informed that they are NOT seeing the "full story".
This should be part of the next UML standard. Unfortunately the mills at OMG grind event slower than those at Sparx.

q.

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 03:57:46 pm »
- Viewpoints often have focus on a particular types of interaction so the ability to control connector visibility by connector type would be useful (possible enhancement to the 'Set Visible Relations' window to group select by type)
EA 14.1 has custom view specifications, and each diagram has the option to filter to the applied view (also called metamodel in places) By default it will use the fade effect, but you can fully hide elements and connectors that don't match the view by changing the diagram filter to use hide.

This should be part of the next UML standard. Unfortunately the mills at OMG grind event slower than those at Sparx.

q.

I disagree. Something like this is highly process specific and not part of the language itself. In the example of different views that have a different set of connectors visible, it would often be something you wouldn't want. Other than that, where do you draw the line for when this should appear? Is it just connectors? Just ones where the other end is on the diagram?
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

matthew.james

• EA User
  • Am I supposed to say something here ... ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 04:54:18 pm »
EA 14.1 has custom view specifications ... you can fully hide elements and connectors that don't match the view by changing the diagram filter to use hide.
Interesting, I'll take a look (assuming I can find some doco as we are still on 14.0)

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 07:11:34 pm »
Simon, looking at the latest UML editions you see that diagram exchange has been added. Likely because they recognized that the semantics of diagrams should be detailed as there's a need for it. So that widget looks like a useful semantic extension that should go into a standard.

q.