Author Topic: Organising Packages  (Read 1165 times)

huddie

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Organising Packages
« on: July 25, 2003, 05:51:10 am »
Hi Everybody,

I'd like some input on the following issue:

The EA project Browser is split up in Dynamic View, Deployment View, UseCase View, etc. A Package is always created inside these Views. Because my UseCases are in the UseCase View and my Classes are in the Logical View they can't be in the same package.

Some how this does not feel right. I want to split up the system I'm developing into functional subdivisions creating packages. I want to give these packages functional constraints and responsibillities/requirements, so that I know what i'm gonna do and where i'm gonna do it.  

Now I'm working on UseCases one moment and working on Classes the next and I find myself describing the same thing in different places.

What's wrong? Can anybody put me straight?

Regards,

Huddie
The truth is there's no such thing as the truth.

Javier

• EA User
  • Necessity is the mother of email
    • View Profile
Re: Organising Packages
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2003, 09:58:10 am »
huddie,

Either I can't find the constraint you have or I don't understand your post correctly:  You're able to create any type of element in the package of your choosing (right-click...New Element...select element type)

I follow the approach you describe too.  Although the 4+1 view is a nice starting point, one is not constrained to use it.  I also group functionality by package and mix all the related elements in that package--use cases, classes, etc.

For example, when we have a design that will yield two components: the functional component and its configuration, I create two packages under Logical View; one for the component functionality and another one for its configuration.  Then I distribute the appropriate use cases to each package, create the class diagrams, create the sequence diagrams to the use cases, etc.

Hope it helps,

Javier
We must become the change we want to see.
- Ghandi