Author Topic: xor constraint on associations  (Read 2189 times)

philchudley

• EA User
  • UML/EA Principal Consultant / Trainer
    • View Profile
xor constraint on associations
« on: January 14, 2008, 04:08:59 am »
Does anyone know how to create an xor constraint across two associations as supported in the UML?

I can easily attach a single constraint note to one assoication, but can this note be linked to the other association?

I am using EA version 7.0

follow me on Twitter

@SparxEAGuru

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
Re: xor constraint on associations
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 04:50:04 am »
No problem Phil,

Right-click one of the associations in question, and from the context menu choose Attach Note or Constraint. You'll get a Link Relations dialog, with a list of available associations (of all types, since you might want to attach a note to anything) and the option to create a note or constraint (via the option buttons at the top right).

You will see that the association you right-clicked is already checked. Check the other(s) you want to attach to, and (in your case) click the Constraint option (note is the default). EA will create a new note or constraint and create the attachments.

To use a note or constraint you already have, right-click the note or constraint. From the context menu choose Advanced | Set Attached Links. You'll get the above dialog, with any links you already have checked. The option buttons for Note or Constraint will be disabled, since you've already created the element.

HTH, David
No, you can't have it!

philchudley

• EA User
  • UML/EA Principal Consultant / Trainer
    • View Profile
Re: xor constraint on associations
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 04:58:15 am »
Cheers Midnight! Knew I'd seen it somewhere before, must be Monday morning and my brain is still asleep.
follow me on Twitter

@SparxEAGuru