Author Topic: Does reverse engin. of C# to Activitiy diag.works?  (Read 1282 times)

allnamesaretaken

• EA User
    • View Profile
Does reverse engin. of C# to Activitiy diag.works?
« on: July 13, 2010, 11:42:26 pm »
Hi all,

In documenattion of EA at the link:
mk:@MSITStore:C:\Programme\Sparx%20Systems\EA\EA.chm::/codeengineering.htm

it is stated that reverse enginnering for activity diagrams works.
I tried to import one C# project into EA and I got beside couple of packages one "Class diagram" (with some connections between the classes) but no "Activity diagrams".
If I go to that package(where Class diagram with all methods and classes are located) and select add new diagram "Activity Diagram" it is complete empty      :-/
How to make my activity diagram to read C# project from "Class diagram" ? Is there any example of generating "Activity diagrams" out of some C# code ? does it works at all :D

Br,
Milan.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: Does reverse engin. of C# to Activitiy diag.wo
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 11:47:50 pm »
Milan,

Please read more carefully, state and activity diagrams are mentioned in the "Code Generation" section, not in the reverse engineering section.

Geert

allnamesaretaken

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 01:21:19 am »
Hi Geert,

thanks for answer but nothing about generation of Activity diagrams from the source C# code I did not found  :-[
All topic with the "Code Generation" talks about code generation and I need other direction: activity diagram from the code.
Could you be little more specific where exactlly to search it for ?

Thanks!
Br,
Milan.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 05:34:08 am »
Milan,

What I was trying to say is that generating activity diagram from code is not possible.

Geert

allnamesaretaken

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 07:49:31 pm »
Hi Geert,

that was most complicated way to say "no" :)

br,
Milan

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 07:52:28 pm »
Milan,

The reason that it was complicated, is because I understood from your question that you had read in the help file that reverse engineering of Activity diagrams is possible.
But when I look at the help file it doesn't say that. It only mentioned forward engineering of Activity diagrams.

Geert

allnamesaretaken

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 10:28:33 pm »
Thanks for answering fast, then everything is clear in short time.

br,
Milan.

Kevin G. Watson

• EA User
  • I love EVERYTHING including Microsoft
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 11:02:56 am »
Hi ya Millan

Why would having Activity Diagrams of existant C# Operations be of help or assistance to you?

The reason I ask is that many of the professional developers that I speak to say that while flowchart / activity diagrams assist them constructing code (at the source level, as implied by stipulating C#.... processing MS.IL Binaries to EA UML form; doesn't involve transforming to C# in getting to UML, no activity diagrams that route either) but of little to no help after... they conceptualise in their head, neither graphically nor textually as far as I can tell.

And collecting togeather reasons and rationals for doing what you want, so as to garner resources to commission an addin to acomplish re'ing to activity, modification and forward genenerating. Is a highvproity for me at the moment.

One significant problem is the lack of how you draw your code (everyone is so secretive and 'their codes' consequential 'uniqueness';  that discovering commonality is hindered if not impossible), another is notation 'what it looks like'...(a sea of little rectangles with stereotype text annotations spread accross or down a multi page diagram; is often even more confussing to anybody but the graphic artist who produced the orginal... modifing it often leaves even them scratching their heads to explain how its changed; and forget geting any certainity as to what to expect from the instaniation of the diagram from either the modifier or orginator ).

The only glimmer of hope, is unlike all but Altevista's Umodel, Microsoft has released Sequence Diagram generation from arbitory operation declarations as a right click option in the Ultimate edition. source editor... and dependancy diagrams.  So we might reasonably expect a DSL implementation of a UML Conformant 'Operational Notation Language' based on Activity Diagrams, that enables creation, reveiw, compilation, persistance and modification of class object methods via a visual designer in the next release.  Look to Windows Workflow  (for the control flow visual paradigm) or the  MS Robotics' platform's 'Visual Programming Language' (for a data flow exclusive visual paradigm) for potential insight.  Or not, no UML state machine diagrams even in the MSDN Ultimate Subscription currently.

I might get funding for an early study.... I defv would enjoy attempting to parse operation declarations to an Activity like diagram form... but no one is being at all open about what 'a=b*2; if( !c ) return b; else return a;' should look like; let alone  Switch, for... or parallel.foreach => blocks ; .

Comment, suggests more than welcome ... in fact I need em...and so does MILAN for whatever reason

Rebel draw ya code
Kevin [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]