Author Topic: Statically named HTML pages  (Read 3413 times)

Dave_Bullet

• EA User
    • View Profile
Statically named HTML pages
« on: October 14, 2008, 01:58:52 pm »
When generating the HTML for a model, I'd like to be able to get EA to consistently use the same URL for certain packages and diagrams.  The reason is I would like to be able to have a static URL is it allows a link from another website.

For example, our Helpdesk maintains their own list of applications.  It would be nice to place a link to an EA diagram of that application on the Helpdesk page.  Problem is, everytime I regenerate the HTML, the page name (ie. URL) could change, breaking the link.

What do you guys think?

A possible solution is just to generate folder/filenames to follow the project browser hierarchy.  Possibly using an 8.3 convention when File systems and tools that are Windows based have a hernia with long paths.

Thanks,
David.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 02:00:13 pm by Dave_Bullet »
"I know I'm close to a good design, but it's like the balloon animals, squeeze in one spot and the problem moves down the line"

smendonc

• EA User
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
    • View Profile
Re: Statically named HTML pages
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 04:22:36 pm »
Have you tried right clicking the element you want to get the static link for in the project browser part of the web page and then copy shortcut?  This link is different then the one obtained from the web browser's url area.  I've been using this for exactly the purpose you mention.  In my case the web site gets regenerated every few hours.

Stan.

Dave_Bullet

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 06:55:03 am »
Hi Stan,

I know what you mean, but unfortunately, those links can change when your model structure changes.

Here is an example:

Say I have a published model and a package at this path:
Deployment model / Nodes / External Systems
The above package contains a deployment diagram:

The URL's of both the above pages are:
Package:      file:///D:/temp/rons_model/EARoot/EA1/EA14.htm
Diagram:      file:///D:/temp/rons_model/EARoot/EA1/EA1/EA21.png

Now say I insert a sibling package called "test" at the same level as the External Systems package - but just above it in the project browser.

When I regenerate my HTML, the above links for the External systems package and diagram CHANGE to:

Package:      file:///D:/temp/rons_model/EARoot/EA1/EA15.htm
Diagram:      file:///D:/temp/rons_model/EARoot/EA1/EA2/EA24.png

As you can see - if I want to link to the External Systems package (or diagram) from an external source - the links will change if I reorder / structure my model.

I'd like static links to a package and diagram, regardless of where it might be in the project browser hierarchy.

Cheers,
David.
"I know I'm close to a good design, but it's like the balloon animals, squeeze in one spot and the problem moves down the line"

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 08:10:15 am »
There isn't currently any way to get static links.

This is currently scheduled for our next major release.  Unfortunately I can't give any information about when that will be.
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

Dave_Bullet

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 08:30:38 am »
Thanks for your reply Simon. [smiley=dankk2.gif]

Roll on version 8!