Author Topic: Suppress Type icon in version 15.1  (Read 203 times)

Noel5437

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Suppress Type icon in version 15.1
« on: July 28, 2022, 02:24:36 pm »
EA has a diagram property [  ] Use Stereotype Icons - when you unmark this, some "icons" remain stubbornly visible.  For example, the icon for a UML Activity.  They "play havoc" with shapescripts that wish to place their own decoration in the same place.

This has irritated me (and I suspect many) for a decade!  Anyway, yesterday during a "daydreaming moment" - when my mind was free to make arbitrary associations - I realised that they aren't "Stereotype" icons, but Type icons.  No wonder they weren't being suppressed!

So can we please have an additional property [  ] Use Type Icons to allow these to be managed more effectively?  Both at the Repository and Diagram level?

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: Suppress Type icon in version 15.1
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 04:13:05 pm »
I don't think this is allowed per UML spec. On p. 452 of UML 2.5 it's said
The specific notational variant used shall be preserved when the diagram is interchanged, see Annex B.
YMMV

q.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
Re: Suppress Type icon in version 15.1
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2022, 08:34:57 pm »
This has irritated me (and I suspect many) for a decade!  Anyway, yesterday during a "daydreaming moment" - when my mind was free to make arbitrary associations - I realised that they aren't "Stereotype" icons but Type icons.  No wonder they weren't being suppressed!
Hi Noel,

The UML 2.5 specification does NOT mention Type Icons, only Stereotype Icons.  Notwithstanding that, EA is self-inconsistent concerning the decorations it places in the top right of the rectangular notation.  So I don't believe they can fix this, given the current internal architecture.
The general solution adopted by most over the last decade is to obliterate the existing decoration with an appropriately sized and rendered rectangle and then create your own icon (or not as required) thereafter.

HTH,
Paolo

Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!