Author Topic: Can't open file  (Read 1379 times)

Catrin

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Can't open file
« on: July 19, 2023, 10:00:54 pm »
When I stared Sparx EA I could not open my project. I was working with that project the day before.

The message I got was "An Error has occurred: Okänt databasformat C:\Users\cnkg\VA1.eap" To enable Jet 4 goto Start Preferences Use JET 4.0, restart EA."

I am using EA version 16.1 and cannot find JET 4.0... and as far as I know I have never seletcted that before in the previous version.

Is there anything I can do, to make the file to open?

wivel

• EA User
  • Driven by Models
    • View Profile
Re: Can't open file
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2023, 05:55:58 am »
Hi Catrin

When did you upgrade to 16.1? I am guessing that the reason the VA1.eap file could open the day before is that you hadn't upgraded to 16.1 then.

You might need to migrate your Ea repository, as described here in the documentation: https://sparxsystems.com/enterprise_architect_user_guide/16.1/model_exchange/transfereap.html and here https://sparxsystems.com/enterprise_architect_user_guide/16.1/model_exchange/project_upgrade.html.

Henrik
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 05:59:52 am by wivel »

Catrin

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2023, 07:42:48 pm »
Thank you for answering.

Sorry, it's version 16.0.1605 and I installed it weeks ago (on a new laptop, no upgrade). The computer restarted automatically and upgraded something when the file was open in EA. After that I got this error message. Ohter project files are still ok to open. It's just this one that has the problem.

BobM

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2023, 07:53:56 pm »
The computer restarted automatically and upgraded something when the file was open in EA. After that I got this error message. Other project files are still ok to open. It's just this one that has the problem.

It is weird that other project files are still ok to open.
Is there by any chance that you can elaborate on "upgraded something"?

What is the initial origin of the broken qea file? (here we can even specify mac, win32, win64)
What could be different about it?

Catrin

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2023, 08:17:07 pm »
Thank you for your reply.

I will talk to my colleagues at the IT department to get more information about the update. Normally files in EA are OK after an unexpected shut down or restart.

I tried to transfer the file (as suggested above), but the transer failed because the file could not open.

The install is the 32-bit version, to make it easier to work with files from version 15.

wivel

• EA User
  • Driven by Models
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2023, 10:37:47 pm »
Sometimes when an EAP file is not closed properly, it retains a lock file that under normal conditions would be deleted. That can lead to EA thinking that something is wrong with the EAP file even though it is fine and dandy.

Try to make a copy of your EA file and see if you can open that. If you can, chances are that you have an undeleted lock file. I seem to recall the the lock file has '.ldb' extension, so if you have a file called 'VA1.ldb', delete it and you should be good to go.

Henrik

Richard Freggi

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2023, 12:34:08 am »
You use Access files?  I too like to live dangereously

wivel

• EA User
  • Driven by Models
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2023, 01:32:19 am »
 :) EA used Access for local repositories, so don’t have much choice there. .eap files are actually Access files in disguise, so like it or not, you too live dangerously.

Henrik