Create a Balanced Scorecard Diagram
A Balanced Scorecard diagram is very easy to create and edit. You simply use the Balanced Scorecard pattern in the Toolbox, and them type in text as notes within the Perspective elements or as separate Notes or Text elements, as described in these steps:
- Create a new Package called 'Balanced Scorecard'.
- Right-click on the 'Balanced Scorecard' Package and select 'Add Diagram'.
- Create a new Balanced Scorecard diagram: enter the name - such as 'Four Perspectives' - then click on the 'Hamburger' icon, select 'Strategy > Strategy > Strategic Modeling > Balanced Scorecard', and click on the .
- In the Toolbox, expand the 'Patterns' section and drag the 'Balanced Scorecard' Pattern onto the Diagram View. The 'Add Pattern Balanced Scorecards :: Balanced Scorecard to Diagram' dialog displays.
- Click on the OK button; a confirmatory prompt displays. Click on the
to generate the diagram shown here.
- Click on each Perspective element in turn and, in the Notes window, type in the text to describe the points relevant to that Perspective. If you prefer you can also:
- Drag a Note element or a Text element onto the diagram and type either more extensive points or more general annotations on the diagram; you can leave the Note or Text elements free standing, or link them to the relevant Perspective using a Notelink connector
- Create a Linked Document on the appropriate element and add text and graphics to that document
The diagram you have created using this procedure illustrates how the company vision and strategy is directly tied to each of the four perspectives. Resource allocation is based on results and strategy rather than a set of arbitrary financial numbers from the previous financial year. The Balanced Scorecard approach helps to ensure that business activity is engineered to adhere to company values and meet targets. Enterprise Architect allows each perspective to be linked to supporting documentation, model information and rigorous benchmarks that verify whether strategic initiatives have been undertaken and associated targets met.