Exchange Data Sets using DataObjects
When testing code generated from a DMN model, or when simulating Business Process Model and Notation (BPMN) models that call DMN models, you need a means of exchanging data sets. For example, in a BPMN call of a DMN model, a BPMN DataObject is used to store the set of variables that will be passed on to the DMN model that it is calling. This DataObject needs to be populated with data fitting the DMN InputData's data structure ready to be passed to that InputData object. This same BPMN DataObject is used when testing the code generated from a DMN model.
This topic describes the process of creating BPMN DataObjects from DMN Data Sets.
A Data Set is stored in a DMN InputData element and can be accessed using the icon on the DMN Expression window.
This opens the InputData's 'Edit Data Set' dialog, which can contain multiple sets of values:
There are two options to transfer the Data Set to a DataObject:
- Create a BPMN DataObject under a Package in the Browser window.
- Open the DMN Simulation window
- Select a Data Set from the 'Value' drop-down
- Click on the icon on the DMN Simulation window; this opens the 'Select Element' dialog
- Select the BPMN DataObject element
- Click on the
The Data Set is now viewable in the Notes of the DataObject.
To manually exchange this Dataset:
- Open the DMN Expression window for the InputData element
- Click on the Edit DataSet icon ; this opens the 'Edit Data Set' dialog
- Use the CSV Export icon to export these details to a file
The text in the CSV file can be added as text in the Notes of a BPMN DataObject element.