The Properties Window
The docked Properties window provides a convenient and immediate way to view and edit the properties of a wide range of modeling objects and features such as diagrams, elements, connectors, attributes, operations, receptions, responsibilities, maintenance items, project items and tests. The tabs and fields displayed depend on the selected object; this illustration shows the 'Element' tab of the window, which displays when you click on a Class element.
When you click on an object in the Browser window or a diagram, the Properties window immediately shows that object's properties, so you can swiftly display the properties of a sequence of objects of different types - element, then attribute, connector and diagram - on the same window without having to open and close separate dialogs.
Each iteration of the window shows the general properties, such as name, object type and status, and properties appropriate to the stereotype, technology, object type and project management. In many cases there is a series of additional tabs appropriate to the specific type of object displayed. These are illustrated in the Help topic describing the window for each selected object type.
To complete fields you can select values from drop-down lists and work through short chains of property or parameter dialogs directly from the Properties window. Your work with modeling objects becomes quick, precise, comprehensive and convenient, through the use of a single area of your work space.
If you are working with an external data source in a Cloud-connected model, you can also view the details of an external data item on a variant of the Properties window, with an 'External' tab. See the External Item Details Help topic.
Start > All Windows > Properties > General > Properties
Design > Element > Properties > General > Properties
Properties Window Options
The Properties window has a toolbar providing a number of options for operating on the object you have displayed in the window, as described in this table.
Click on this icon to save any changes you have made to the fields on any tab of the Properties window.
Lists several options for acting on the selected object; several of these options apply only when you are looking at element properties.
|Set Element Parent Properties Dialog Define Properties of Operations Diagram Properties Create and Manage Attributes Reception
Click on this option to open the 'Properties' dialog for the selected object.
Click on this icon to display the appropriate special action or special properties dialog for the selected object; if there is no special action display, the standard 'Properties' dialog displays.
- When you click on a field name, a brief summary of that field displays at the bottom of the Properties window, unless you have selected the 'Hide Properties Info Section' checkbox on the 'Window Behavior' page of the 'Preferences' dialog
- If you click on the field value for an editable field, either a drop-down arrow or a button displays that enables you to select or browse for a different value; one of the values offered might display a more advanced list or a dialog for adding new objects or selecting multiple objects, as the 'Stereotype' field does
- Properties Window for Diagrams
- Properties Window for Elements
- Properties Window and Dialog for Connectors
- Properties Window for Attributes
- Properties Window for Operations
- Properties Window for Receptions
- Properties Window for Test Items
- Properties Window for Maintenance Items
- External Item Details
- Window Behavior
- Apply Stereotypes