Author Topic: BPMN nesting diagrams?  (Read 1424 times)

AndyJ

• EA User
  • It's only a model
    • View Profile
BPMN nesting diagrams?
« on: July 14, 2011, 03:34:33 pm »
Hi people,

I'm used to another tool, where it is straightforward to make an existing diagram a child of a current activity on a BPMN diagram.

In that tool, the functionality is simple, select "Add Child" and select an existing diagram. The result is that the activity now shows the icon for "Composite" and clicking on the activity opens the child diagram.

I'm looking for similar functionality in EA and see that I can add a "business process" which automatically adds a NEW child diagram, or I can use the function "Advanced|Make Composite" which adds a NEW child diagram...

Can anyone explain how I can add an existing diagram as the child of an activity?

Dragging the diagram from the browser on to the activity offers three choices, none of which seem to add the diagram as a child. The hyperlink seems closest, but the diagram name is very long and results in a very strange looking parent diagram.

Best wishes,

Andy
Sun Tzu: "If you sit by the river long enough, eventually the body of MS Visio floats past."

Sunshine

• EA User
  • Let's just do it
    • View Profile
Re: BPMN nesting diagrams?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 09:35:24 am »
Try right clicking on the element in the diagram and selecting the context menu item Advanced>Make Composite. This will create a child diagram.

To make an existing element reference an existing diagram. Drag the diagram under the element in question in the explorer view. Then do the Advanced>make composite and it should hook up with that diagram so long as its the only one under the element. If there are multiple diagrams I think it hooks up with the first one.

I think a re-engineering of the UI to replace the above menu with "create child diagram" would be more intuitive. Don't think it would be too hard to change either.

Hope that helps
 :)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 09:43:08 am by phenzell »
Happy to help
:)

KP

• EA Administrator
  • EA Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 09:46:46 am »
or I can use the function "Advanced|Make Composite" which adds a NEW child diagram...
...if the element doesn't already have one. If the element already has a child diagram then Advanced>Make Composite will link to that.

Note also, you can drag any diagram under an element in the project browser, use the Make Composite command, then drag the diagram back where it came from.
The Sparx Team
support@sparxsystems.com

AndyJ

• EA User
  • It's only a model
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 10:08:53 am »
Thank you both! That's exactly what I was looking for, especially the last part (moving the diagrams back to common location to aid in browsing)...

This is now officially a good Friday.

;D

Andy
Sun Tzu: "If you sit by the river long enough, eventually the body of MS Visio floats past."