Create Linked Element in Enterprise Architect
To create a new element in the Enterprise Architect model linked to the external item:
- Right-click on an external item in the list.
- Select Create Local Element
- Select either the default type (see Configuration) or «External Reference»
- Select which Package the element will be created in
- Optionally add the new element to an open Diagram
The local element will be filled in with the values defined in the Field Mapping in Configuration.
Once linked, the local element will show under the external item:
Note: Select multiple items to create multiple elements at the same time. All elements will be created with either the default type or «ExternalReference»
Link an Existing Enterprise Architect Element
An existing element in Enterprise Architect can be linked to an existing item in the external provider by dragging the local element from the Browser window and dropping it onto the external item.
Create a Linked Item in the External Provider
Existing local elements in Enterprise Architect can be added to the External Provider in this way:
- Select the local Enterprise Architect element (in the Browser window).
- Browse the external provider and select the required destination location.
- In the External Data Menu, select 'Create Linked Item'.
- To create a new external item, the Integration Provider must be configured to allow this on the Pro Cloud Server (it is disallowed by default)
- Not all providers allow for creation of new items
Update Local Element ('Pull' changes)
If either the local element or external item have been modified since the items were created or linked, an indicator will be shown on top of the item's icon. Right-click on the linked Enterprise Architect element and select the 'Pull - Update Local Element with External Data' option.
Note: If the local element has been modified since the link was created then its changes will be overwritten with the external data.
Update External Item ('Push' changes)
If either the local element or external item have been modified since the items were created or linked, an indicator will be shown on top of the item's icon. Right-click on the Enterprise Architect element and select 'Push - Update External Item with Local Data'.
- If the external element has been modified since the link was created then its changes will be overwritten with the local data.
- To update an external item the Integration Provider must be configured to allow this on the Pro Cloud Server (disallowed by default).
Synchronize All Local Elements
All local linked elements from a provider can be quickly updated with new data from the external provider's items.
- Browse to the external provider to be synchronized
- In the External Data menu, select 'Synchronize Local Linked Elements'
- Tick the fields that should be updated with any new data from the external item. Note that any local changes in the Enterprise Architect element in these fields will be overwritten with the external data.
- The bottom of the window indicates how many local elements will be updated (note that it is unknown at this point if there have been any changes to the external item)
- Click 'Synchronize'