The WAN Optimizer
"February 2014, With the release of Enterprise Architect version 11, the functionality provided by the WAN Optimizer has been replaced by the new product 'Cloud Services', as a result no further development will be made to the WAN Optimizer. The information in this topic remains here for legacy purposes only."
"July 2019, With the release of Pro Cloud Server v4, the functionality provided by the Cloud Services has been replaced by the unlicensed edition of the Pro Cloud Server, as a result no further development will be made to Cloud Services."
You can significantly improve Enterprise Architect's performance in a Wide Area Network (WAN) by reducing the amount of data transmitted and the number of network calls made. To achieve this, you can use the Sparx Systems Wide Area Network (WAN) Optimizer, a lightweight server installed on a Local Area Network (LAN) connection to a Database Management System (DBMS) that hosts an Enterprise Architect repository. You can configure the server to listen for client connections on a particular port; it acts as a local proxy to execute queries and return the results in a compressed format to the client.
In this diagram, transmission between Enterprise Architect and a DBMS is depicted first without and then with the WAN Optimizer.
You can download the WAN Optimizer installer from the 'Downloads' page of the Registered Users section of the Sparx Systems website. The Wan Optimizer Service installer package provides two installable features for the target machine:
- WAN Optimizer Service - the installer also helps register and start the service on the target machine, and add it to the Windows Startup folder
- WAN Optimizer Admin Client - to enable an administrator to administer and configure the service from a remote client
The Optimizer has its own Sparx Systems WAN Optimizer User Guide. See that Guide for more information on:
- WAN Optimizer Components
- Installing and Starting the WAN Optimizer Service
- Configuring the Service
- The WAN optimizer was the first generation product
- The Sparx Systems Cloud Services was the second generation and replaced the WAN optimizer
- The Sparx Systems Pro Cloud Server is the third generation and has replaced the Sparx Systems Cloud Services
- All Cloud products provided similar basic functionality of the WAN Optimizer, but the later generations do so faster and more securely; they also have many more additional features
Whilst you can still use the WAN Optimizer as described here, we recommend that the Pro Cloud Server should now be used instead of both the WAN Optimizer and Cloud Services products.