Copy (Duplicate) or Move Diagram
As you develop the diagrams in your model, you might find that some of the diagrams use many of the same elements and have a similar format. You can copy and replicate the complete diagrams for minor modification, resulting in a duplicate diagram with either:
- Links back to the original diagram elements, unless those elements are Text, Note, Hyperlink, Lifeline or Object elements, or embedded elements on Objects, that are specific to the diagram and that are copied (shallow mode) or
- Complete copies of all elements in the diagram, other than Packages (deep mode) or
- Complete copies of all elements in the diagram that have the same parent as the diagram, and links back to the original diagram elements for all other elements on the diagram (smart mode)
You might find that a diagram is better held in a different Package - such as a diagram library - and you need to move it. To do this you simply open the parent and target Packages in the Browser window, click on the diagram and drag it from the parent to the target. Note that some diagrams - particularly those in Systems Engineering - show diagram frames that are renderings of the element that currently holds the diagram. As you are moving the diagram to a new owner, you are breaking that relationship between the parent element and the diagram, so you need to turn off the display of the diagram frame before moving the diagram. See the Diagram Context Menu Help topic.
Right-click on diagram in Browser window | Copy/Paste | Copy Diagram then:
Right-click on Package | Copy/Paste | Paste Diagram or
Right-click on element | Copy/Paste | Paste Diagram
Copy the diagram then:
Duplicate a diagram
Type the name for the new diagram.
Type of copy
Click on the radio button for the type of copy you require; either:
Click on this button to initiate the copy.
The new diagram is automatically created with linked or new elements arranged as in the original diagram.
All connectors are also copied between diagram elements where appropriate.
- In the Corporate, Unified and Ultimate Editions of Enterprise Architect, if security is enabled you must have 'Manage Diagrams' permission to copy diagrams
- For a diagram copied in shallow mode, any changes to the properties of the original elements are reflected only in those elements that are copied as simple links in the pasted diagram
- For a diagram copied in deep mode, any changes to the properties of the original elements are not reflected in the elements in the pasted diagram
- For a diagram copied in deep mode, Package elements are copied as simple links only; you cannot paste as new
- For a diagram copied in smart mode, any changes to the properties of the original elements are reflected only in those elements that are copied as simple links in the pasted diagram
- Element position and size are independent in all copy modes